India’s development in the fields of science and technology
- Science and technology are widely acknowledged to be essential components of social and economic development.
- Some of the global challenges science and technology could solve
- Providing Safe drinking-water and food supplies
- Grid-scale energy storage
- Energy-efficient desalination
- Cleaning up of Ocean
- Embodied Artificial Intelligence
- Universal flu vaccine
- Earthquake prediction
- Carbon sequestration
Role of S&T at the macro level
- S&T management should focus on meeting the needs of the nation (including industry) and encompass a wide spectrum of activities, namely:-
- Basic research,
- Applied research,
- Technology transfer,
- Design, development, fabrication, tests and trials,
- Manufacturing, marketing, maintenance and product support during tile life cycle.
Society aspects of science & technology in India
- Science and technology (S&T) is widely recognized as an important tool for fostering and strengthening the economic and social development of the country.
- It is, therefore, essential to evolve a mechanism and identify programmes for application of Science & Technology for
- Improving the quality of life of the people (particularly the weaker sections and women).
- For the development of rural areas to reduce regional imbalances and
- For inculcating scientific awareness among the masses.
Areas of Development
- Higher education
- Scientific research and development
- Technological development
- Advancement of agricultural system
- Development of space science and technology
- Development of medical science and technology
- Development of infrastructure
- Information and communication technology
- Development of various fields of engineering (including software, chemical, mechanical, civil, electrical, electronic, etc.)