- Endocrine glands in animals possess a versatile communication system to coordinate biological functions.
- Exocrine glands and endocrine glands are two kinds of glands found in animals. Endocrine glands are found in different regions of the body of animals as well as human beings.
- These glands are called ductless glands.
- Their secretions are called hormones which are produced in minute quantities.
- The secretions diffuse into the bloodstream and are carried to distant parts of the body.
- They act on specific organs which are referred as target organs.
- Exocrine glands have specific ducts to carry their secretions e.g. salivary glands, mammary glands, and sweat glands.